Friday, March 12, 2010

Cache Lake Country

Years ago when I was in Boy Scouts, one of the Scout Masters suggested I read a book called "Cache Lake Country". So being the good scout I went to the public library and found the one and only copy that they had. I read it and decided it was the best book that I had ever read up until that point. I always loved this book and wanted to find a copy of it, but it was difficult since it was out of print. The a few years ago my mother found it for me for my birthday. She gave me two copies. One was a new reprint and the other was an original hard back. Last week I finally decided to read it again, I had been afraid to read because I did not want to disappoint my self by thinking this great book was not so great. Well, it is still a really good book and if anything I understand it better. So here is what its about.

Cache Lake Country, Life in the North Woods. By John J. Rowlands.

I will not give you all the authors history, but it is pretty interesting and if you think you would like this book, you should look him up.

The book is set on Cache Lake in the great north woods of the northeastern U.S. and takes place in the early 1900's. John, the Author, was a timber cruiser for a logging company. He was on a trip to inspect some timber when he came across a the lake and thought it was a place he would like to live. Upon returning to the timber company, he was asked if he would live in the area and watch over the timber and land. He accepted and built a cabin on the lake. The book is written to describe what a year is like in the north woods. It starts in January and continues through the rest of the year. It mostly describes the way they lived and survived in that rugged country with long winters, short summers and wild animals. He has two friends that live on lakes near by, the Chief is an Indian Chief that lives near by and teaches the others his ways of the woods. Hank, is a wild life photographer and artist who is studying the local flora and fauna. Together they have several adventures and always help each other when needed. There a many drawings in the book where Hank is providing the visual aids for the descriptions that John and the Chief are giving. It is a quick and easy read and show you to survive on what you have on hand and a little creativity. If you like reading about the old ways of doing things and see what is was like to live in their conditions, it is well worth the read. If you know some Boy Scouts or young boys that are into the outdoors, please suggest it to them. They will enjoy it. I hope my boys read it one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment